Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Noritake VFDs - Lesson: Read dimension specs correctly before ordering...


I thought GU280X16G-7003 would be *GREAT* for this project... The original VFD is 134 mm wide and 22 mm tall with display area of 113mm x 11 mm. I was reading the spec of GU280X16G-7003, which says 137.05 mm x 11.0 mm. "Perfect!" I was thinking (see this post).  Shortly after, I ordered it from Noritake online store and received the box a few days later.When I unpacked and had the VFD in my hand, I immediately had bad feeling. The dimension of the VFD is that of its display area, and the actual PCB dimension is whopping 182 mm x 33.5 mm...

After beating myself up over this for a few days, I ordered the half-size VFD (GU140X16G-7903) on sale. This module, which display area is half of GU280X16G-7003, can display full Japanese character set (Shift-JIS) which may be a good feature to have to display info of Japanese music or video.  (BTW, if you are interested in VFDs, noritake-vfd.com has great prices for their special sale promotion items.)

I've decided to keep GU280X16G kit as GU140X16G turned out to be just PCB module. The kit comes with a RS-232 cable with AC adapter prong, which is useful for development. The DB9 connector of the cable houses an IC chip to convert CMOS signals to RS-232. Because I prefer USB connection (neither of my desktop nor laptop PCs have serial port, does yours?) I actually disassembled the cable to keep the 2 cables.

VFD-PC Interface
Here's the pic of the actual device hookups:

FTDI's UB232R UART-to-USB interface module (the little PCB module on the breadboard) connects to the PC with mini-USB connection. Of 7 pins available on VFD's CN2 Connector, only 4 are use:

VFD CN2 Pin UB232R Pin Power Cable
Number Description Number Description Description
1 VCC (red) 5V (red)
2 SIN (brown) 8 TXD
3 GND (orange) 1 GND GND (orange)
4 SBUSY (yellow) 3 CTS#

2 comments: