Monday, February 28, 2011

AMD Fusion (Zacate+Hudson) ITX Motherboard List

The ideal CPU for the INTEC275 PC would be AMD's new Fusion (Zacate) APU. Here're the list of ITX motherboards that I found to date.

Make Model Price Form Factor
Asrock E350M1 $109.99@newegg.com Mini-ITX
Asrock E350M1/USB3 $119.90@newegg.com Mini-ITX
MSI E350IS-E45 $129.99@newegg.com Mini-ITX
MSI E350IA-E45 $139.99@newegg.com
$159.00@logicsupply.com
Mini-ITX
GIGABYTE GA-E350N-USB3 $149.99@newegg.com Mini-ITX
ASUS E35M1-I DELUXE $174.99@newegg.com* Mini-ITX
ECS HDC-I2 n/a Mini-ITX
ECS HDC-I2/E-240 n/a Mini-ITX
Jetway NC85-E350-LF$149.99@newegg.com Mini-ITX
Sapphire PURE Fusion Mini E350 $139.99@newegg.com Mini-ITX
Sapphire PURE White Fusion E350 $109.99@newegg.com Mini-ITX
FoxconnAHD1S n/a Mini-ITX

* Newegg took this mobo off its shelf as of 4/21/11 still listed on ASUS website though.

From my brief web search (see here) indicates that there are more to come. For example, Biostar and Zota have not released their Zacate/Hudson board. Yep, that's why I'm not in any hurry to make up my mind on motherboard :)

The concern of using one of these Mini-ITX boards is that the board (17cm x 17cm) extends enough so that the optical drive will cover up portion of the board. With < 79mm height of the case (even less between mobo and the drive), the motherboard heatsink may not fit under the drive. I will need to do more in depth assessment later.

In case that none of these motherboards are short enough, the alternative choices are
Make Model Price Form Factor
Intel D945GSEJT $99.95@logicsupply.com Mini-ITX
Via EPIA-N800 n/a Nano-ITX
Via EPIA-N700 n/a Nano-ITX
Via EPIA NX n/a Nano-ITX
Via EPIA NR n/a Nano-ITX

The Atom-based Intel board is a nice one. It's short (< 20 mm H). The combination of underpowered single-core Atom and GMA 950 graphics is a concern, but it may not be critical as I am not interested in 1080p video playback with this PC. Also, there are several people over on the AVS Forum already using this mobo for their HTPC with Marvell CrystalHD video decoder.

Via Nano-ITX boards have the ideal size (12mm  x 12mm) but they are not really geared towards multimedia (especially hi-def video playback). So, they will be the ultimate last resort when packaging completely falls apart.

The ideal scenario is for somebody to release Nano-ITX Fusion board... and I found this! It doesn't appear that they do business in the U.S., but I'm keeping my figures crossed someone in the U.S. will sell it (at a reasonable cost).

Update 4/21/11
Newly in-stock: Asrock USB3 version, Sapphire Pure White Fusion E350
Off the shelf: Asus E35M1-I DELUXE

2 comments:

  1. Hi,
    I also own Intec275 Onkyo stereo set which I bought secondhand at a recycle shop in Tokyo in 2005.
    As expected, I also experience something nearly similiar to yours, the CD player doesn't play (at all, in my case).
    How's the progress of your project. Looking forward to knowing the positive result, and who knows I might follow your foot-steps
    よろしくお願いします。
    Greeting from Indonesia
    クスモ

    ReplyDelete
  2. @クスモ - Welcome! As you can see, I'm still in a waiting mode for the Zacate motherboard so it'll be another while before I start cuttin' and drillin' up the case to fit the PC components in. But, everything so far indicates that it can be doable. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

    One thing though. Be aware that the sound quality will take a hit by playing CD on a PC vs. dedicated (high-end) CD Player like ours.

    ReplyDelete